Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Guiding Principles

I'm sure this is a work in progress.  Currently I use computer technology to do "old things in old ways" and "old things in new ways."  I am clumsy in my methods and understanding.  I have visions as to what I would like to do but, as of now, I have no idea how to get there. 

Already the organization of this class is throwing me off.  Do I go to the pbworks page? If so, where do I look?  Why are there comments and posts everywhere?  How do I go from a variety of blogs, to the class website, to the online readings, to trying out the webtools?  How the heck do I Tweet!! Arrrrgggghhhh!  I have so much to learn.  I'm sure it will all be better once school is not in session, we are not yet done… sigh.

That said - and I feel much better now that I have vented - I will begin the rough draft of my Guiding Principles.  This post is quite overdue but I just somehow missed the assignment on the Week One page.

Current technology usage:

J      I have a very simple webpage. On my webpage I post my class assignments.  I include files for project descriptions, rubrics, lab report templates and the like.  I have internet links and a calendar posted. 

J      I utilize some Smartboard and PowerPoint presentations.

J      I utilize some YouTube videos.

J      I utilize online assignments from resources such as http://www.sciencespot.net/.

J      I have my students organize some of their data on Excel spreadsheets.

J      My students produce and save some project assignments in class folders that are located and available only on our school computer system.

I've taken this class because I see more possibilities but, as I've said above, I don't know how to get there.  In any event, the technology that I incorporate for classroom usage must:

ü      Be accessible to all students.

ü      Encourage student to explore beyond the realm that is available in our school.

ü      Allow for differentiated learning.

ü      Encourage collaboration locally and globally.

ü      Enhance inquiry learning.


That's all for now.  Please bear with me as I come to the end of my school year.  My dad is sick too so I'm doing a bit of juggling.  Things will even out soon… I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment