Friday, June 24, 2011

Science & Literacy

In her article, Science & Literacy, author Marlene Thier identifies three strategies that help form the structure of support that students need if they are to be successful learners.  She states that "students need a compelling reason to read, write, listen, and speak, and meaningful science content offers that reason."  She points out that students need to be exposed to science-related issues that are relevant to their lives.  I agree with the author but, as a teacher of middle school students, I find that one of my biggest challenges is in convincing my students that authentic issues affect their lives.  This year in the closing reflection of an ecology unit, students were asked which assignment were the least valuable.  The predominant choice was one in which human impacts on the Long Island Sound watershed were discussed.  I did not test my students on this reading.  This is why my students thought that it was not valuable.  They "didn't need it" to be successful in my class.  Perhaps I did not do well to connect the reading to their lives.  Perhaps I did not develop and present clear performance expectations to help them direct the focus of their learning.

On the other hand, perhaps I did not help my students to develop effective strategies for reading the article.  In her article Thier demonstrated a technique that encourages students to develop strong and independent reading skills.  By making notations throughout the reading and by writing questions, notes and summaries, a student becomes personally involved with the reading.  While I did introduce a reading strategy with this assignment I do not feel that it was specific enough to be effective.

The third strategy that Thier describes involves metacognition, or, the ability and tendancy of a student to think about his or her own thinking.  While writing a summary of the Long Island Sound article I wanted my students to question their own understanding of the content and its application to their lives.  My lesson fell short.  My students were unable to target what they did and did not understand.  I like the author's suggestion to include group problem solving methods with direct prompts to direct their thinking.

Teaching literacy to support inquiry-based learning is a bit of an art.  This article was relevant for me because the strategies that were described are similar to techniques I use but they are more detailed and specific.  The school year has just ended but I have made my notations to use these techniques next year as I try to reshape how I help my students to develop their literacy skills.

4 comments:

  1. metacognition is incredibly challenging...so I am not surprised that your students struggled.

    Unfortunately, I think we have created a structure in most school that are focused heavily on points and grade -- students get good at working towards a certain number of points and begin to only value tasks. Any thoughts on how you might change that culture...with the benefit of less grading for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to respond to your question about posting to blogs on twitter but it was too long so I thought I would post my ideas here. When you go to comment above or directly below the box that you type your comment in should be a spot where it says or shows the icons for Twitter, facebook, different blog websites, and/or different email sites. It you choose one of those, for example twitter, the website should walk you through signing into your twitter account and then you should be able to type your comment in and it should go through.
    For example on your blog right under the post a comment box there is a "Comment as:" drop box in which I can choose to comment as Kevin (Google) [Email address], Live Journal, Wordpress, Typepad, AIM, or OpenID. Since I have an email that is run through gmail I am commenting as that.

    Does this make sense? Try it out to comment on my blog here: http://kevinssb.blogspot.com/ and see if that makes sense. Each website's comment area looks a little different.

    I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brunsell- the administration and parents of my district see themselves as highly competitive and cutting edge. This puts the results of standardized testing on top of all else. Teaching my students to actually think about their own thinking is foreign and frustrating to them.

    I think that whenever we ask students for an opinion on a specific issue and then ask them to support that opinion with facts, we are encouraging metacognition. Their opinions are often talking points that they've heard from someone else. They have to search for data and facts. Frankly, my students resist this.

    Beyond that I continue to look for ways to help my students become deeper thinkers and with that I WILL need to change the culture.

    @Kevin - thanks for the suggestions. Actually I was working on a very old and very clunky computer because my laptop recently bit the dust. Finally I confiscated my husband's laptop, downloaded firefox and then I became able to fully participate in this class! I am currently trying to decide on a new computer purchase. I need a reasonably portable laptop (I'm a small person)and I need to pay under $600. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you have listed strategies for science literacy. I agree with your opinion that teaching literacy to support inquiry based learning is an art. I have used reading comprehension, poem writing, story telling and drama to teach science while teaching middle school science but for my higher classes I insist more on `speaking` science, a good communication with scientific and technical words used in a right context.

    ReplyDelete